Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bondage, Passover and Exodus

Three words: Bondage, Passover, and Exodus will clue you in to what part of the Old Testament we discussed during Sunday School.

And upon my studies this week, I really never knew how much I loved the story of Moses.

(The scripture story of Moses, not the Cecil B. DeMille movie story. Although Charleton Heston sure makes a really good Moses!)

So after the final plague – the killing of all of Egypt’s firstborn – the Pharoah lets the children of Israel go, but then I read verses 17 and 18 in Exodus 13 which made me stop, think, and write down some feelings and ideas.
17. And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:
18. But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt.
Thought #1
After Pharaoh let the people go, God did NOT lead them through "the way of the land . . . that was near."   Instead, He opted to lead the Israelites to the Promised Land the good, old-fashioned long, hard way.  The 40 years-wandering-in-the-wilderness-way.

Why?

I think it is for the same reason the Lord - who could have very easily subdued the winter of 1856-57- instead allowed the bitter winter snows to start early that year.

He allowed hardships unfathomable to come upon those early LDS Saints in the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies as a testimony to them and to us, of His goodness and His power.

The Exodus of the Israelites and the crossing of the Sweetwater stand as a witness that God's people - as favored as they are - do not or will not escape hardships, trials, afflictions or sorrows.  But their journey, their experience is one we need to remember, to retain in our hearts, as a reminder of who our Deliverer is!

Thought #2
To continue the thought that even followers of Christ will have their fair share of adversity, we do so harnessed by God Himself.

Webster's dictionary offers THREE definitions that fit so well with this thought!  Harness: 1. to control so as to use the power of (as to harness one's energy) 2. to put armor on and 3. married

1. When we are willing to be led by the Lord, He allows us to use His power.  Priesthood power. The power to act in His name.

2. When we are harnessed by the the Lord, we are clothed with His Armor:  Loins girt about by Truth. Breastplates of Righteousness. Feet shod with the Preparation of the Gospel of Peace. Shields of Faith.  Helmets of Salvation.  Swords of His Spirit.  An army doesn't get more powerful than that!! 

3. The scriptures are replete with the metaphor of Jesus being the Bridegroom and the Church is His bride.  The price He paid to purchase us, through His suffering so we could return with Him to the Father, is an incredible, humbling symbol of His ability to harness us if we are willing to do all that He requires! (CLICK HERE for a very insightful article on The Marriage Metaphor).

In a world where I face my own personal challenges of Bondage, Passover and Exodus, I am grateful for the strength that comes in harnessing my thoughts, my actions, and my desires with the Lord.

Granted, I may take a long time to figure out where my Promised Land is, but I am sure that He is my Deliverer.  He will lead the way and I submit to His will, I can be harnessed up with His power and His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment