Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Praying for Rain II

After yesterday's post about praying for rain, my thoughts turned to something I discovered a little while ago as I was studying about the Law of Tithing.

In Leviticus it says, "And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s: it is holy unto the Lord." (Leviticus 27:30).

A long time ago (I mean, a VERY long time ago), the Law of Tithing pertained to seeds, flocks, fruits, and grains.  These things, at the very least, reminded the giver from Whom they came and how they came!

These commodities - this type of "income" - could not come up from nothing or from one's own doing.

The seeds, the flocks, the fruits and the grains needed the sustenance from the earth. They needed the sun and the rain; the heat and the cold.  They needed those things created only by God and given to man.

Truly, this income was considered "lilies of the field" -  for only God could array them, clothe them, bless them.

Centuries upon centuries upon centuries passed.

Seeds, flocks, fruits and grains took on a new identity called currency. And this currency slowly began to replace the Whom from all the goods ultimately came from and the what they needed to be used for.

This is where tithing and a generous fast offering is so essential to personal growth and spiritual development.  For rendering back which has been given so willingly to me gives me the faith and the obedience to remember from whence ALL my blessings come.

For God is the One who causes it to rain.

And He is the One who causes the sun to shine.

And He is the One who blesses the seed, the flocks. the fruits and the grain.

He is the Giver.

I am the Receiver.

And "all that He requires of me is to keep His commandments" . . . for if I do keep His commandments He doth bless me and prosper me" (Mosiah 2:22).

How blessed am I that He allows me to pray for rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment