Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Sister in the Lord

Today I felt like Alma the Younger, who, after fourteen years of being separated from his brethren, was reunited with them. And what added to his joy was that “they were still his brethren in the Lord.”

I think the significance of that statement was NOT the fact Alma and his brethren had lived easy, luxurious lives for the past decade plus, finding themselves surrounded by fame and fortune. No, I think the joy of Alma’s heart stemmed from the fact each of them, individually, “had given themselves to much prayer and fasting” . . .for in those years, “they had many afflictions; they did suffer much both in body and in mind . . . and also much labor in the spirit.”

So much for fame or fortune.

But even after ALL the sufferings and afflictions, they were still his brethren in the Lord.

So today, I was able to have lunch with a dear friend, Blue, who, to my joy, in spite of all her afflictions and sufferings, remains my sister in the Lord.

We talked as much as we could in three hours to fill in all the things we have missed in the last TWENTY years!

And as I listened to this truly incredible woman recount her journey of faith and testimony and strength and afflictions, (click here) she opened my heart to feelings and emotions that fortify my deep, profound love to a loving Father in Heaven who loves us and cares for us and in His way sends to us tender mercies wrapped as Relief Society presidents, quotes, cookies on a plate, former missionary companions or friends of friends.

How I love Blue! And how I love Heavenly Father for letting me know her and learn from her!

P.S. She also makes THE BEST almond toffee I have ever tasted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment