Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cast Off!

Cast (n): a stiff dressing or casing used to immobilize body parts.

My brokened-arm son got his cast off TODAY!!

Which, of course, was the easy part . . . because after the cast came off, THE PINS had to come out!





The whole “cast off” thing is a very renewing thing for my son and for me! Now his arm - which has been immobilized for the last three weeks - is now able to experience the flexion it is suppose to receive, being so near the elbow and all.

This means the beginning of bending and straightening.

This means a giving his arm different kind of arm protection than his cast did, but one that will ultimately make his arm stronger.

This means muscles will get a little sore as he begins to restore elbow motion to move with his whole body. (Even the wrist movement is stiff and achy!)

This also means that maybe – MAYBE - my son will now be a little more dependent than he has been for the last 26 days!?

Which got me thinking of the phrase – “cast off.”

Cast off in a spiritual sense.

"What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive His Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be CAST OFF at the last day?” (Alma 22:15)

Q: What shall I do that I may have eternal life?
A: Pray to God and repent of all my sins (Alma 22:16; Enos 1:4-5).

Q: What shall I do that I may be born of God, removing the (desire to do) wickedness from my heart?
A: Replace my “stony heart” with a “heart of flesh” (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

Q: What shall I do to receive His Spirit so I can feel joy?
A: If one of the fruits of the Spirit is “joy,” then I must avoid (at all costs) “the works of the flesh.” Which are these: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envying, murders, drunkenness, revelling (Galatians 5:17-24).  In fact, THIS is the stuff that hinders the very most.  And, if not cast off, could eventually cause spiritual rigormortis.

Q: What shall I do so I will not be CAST OFF in the end?
A: Press forward. Have charity. Feast upon God’s word. Endure to the end. (2 Nephi 31:20).

So beginning today, it's CASTS OFF for me.

1 comment:

  1. That's great!
    The picture about did Jessi in.
    But I really like the correlation. Thank you for the insight....Cast Off!!!

    ReplyDelete