Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Book of Mormon Reading: Alma 12-15

Alma 13 is one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon (Okay, I have a LOT of favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon)!

Today, as I read about the Melchizedek Priesthood, I realized that I need to make God's authority and power a priority in my life!

At first, I thought of the different priesthood ordinances that I bless my life on a regular basis, but then I began to ponder different ways I could give opportunities to the priesthood holders in my life to use their power and authority to bless me and those around them.

This pondering reminded me of an experience I had many years ago.

I visit taught a sister who lived a few houses from me. She was inactive and so was her husband. This woman was very spiritual and dearly loved her children.

One day she called me and shared with me something that was deeply troubling to her. She was very distraught and could not find peace. Of course, the first thing that came to my mind was that she needed to receive a priesthood blessing. Who could give her a blessing? I thought. The bishop? Her home teachers? My husband? I tried to think of some key brethren who could "make a difference" at such a crucial time in her life! I told her I would call her back.

As I searched my mind, the Spirit gently whispered that yes, she did need a blessing, but the person she needed to ask was her husband.

What? He's inactive.

Yet, the Spirit pressed. And the Spirit taught me.

Because I followed the teaching of the Holy Ghost, this dear woman did petition her husband for a blessing and received one.

* * *

God is the Ultimate Planner.

Long before we even came to earth, He took into consideration every. single. detail. of our probationary state.

Individually and collectively.

Even down to our Final Celebration.

God's plan offered us a probationary state. A time to choose. A time to make mistakes. A time to learn from those choices. And, a plan of redemption.

A plan that would bring to pass the resurrection of the dead.

And a plan of repentance.

To make right our wrong choices. To act in faith. And to accept His Son as the Redeemer of the World.

Lucifer, on the other hand, had no plan.

None.

Instead, he wanted to hijack and distort Father's plan, claiming that the details of our earthly lives could be resolved quite easily by merely taking away our agency.

Thus:

God = Preparation = Happiness

Lucifer = No preparation = misery

Giving more meaning to this statement: "if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."


No comments:

Post a Comment