Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Seeing What Nephi Saw

So I have made another personal commitment to read the Book of Mormon in Spanish. I know, I know, I started before and actually had the Spirit teach me some incredible things, but I ended up going back to my English scriptures because I just did.

And my husband didn't even say a word about it as he just keeps studying his Spanish scriptures as he has been doing for the last 20 years!!!

So last night, as I was going along reading 1 Nephi 11 - 14 (in Spanish, mind you), I was reminded of something I was taught many years ago about these chapters and how to understand them a little more (at least it helped for me).  So I thought I would share.

When I read 1 Nephi 11, I remind myself that this is what the "fruit" or Jesus Christ looks like to the Jews.  1 Nephi 12 is what the fruit looks like to the Nephites.  And  1 Nephi 13 and 1 Nephi 14 is what the fruit looks like to us.

* * *

Here is something that I learned while studying in Spanish. 1 Nephi 11:22-23 in Spanish, in part, reads like this:

El amor de Dios . . . se derrama ampliamente en el corazón . . . Sí, y el de mayor gozo para el alma.

Literally translated it would read something like this:

The love of God pours out extensively in the heart . . . yes, and it is the greatest joy for the soul.

Which made me think about God's love in my life.

Of all the places that He could reach my reaching it is through my heart.

When I allow His love to fill my heart it is then that my soul becomes a generator of joy, of peace, and other Christlike attributes.

Because of the price the Savior has already paid for my soul, I wonder why I don't open my heart even wider to be filled with His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment