Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Random Thoughts

Isn't the question of the season, “So, are you ready?”
My answer, I don’t stress about it. After all, when December 25th comes, it is what it is. No one else cares what I didn’t do or didn’t finish – . . . so why not enjoy the season for what it truly is!

* * *

The other night as we were going to see a beautiful nativity in a neighboring city, I saw this electronic billboard that had the saying, “The Reason for the Season.” Slowly, the saying faded to only reveal these letters: “The Son.”
The message and the accompanying pictures of the Savior filled my heart with The ReaSON for the Season!
The billboard was for a hardware store. A HARDWARE STORE!
I say, “Way to let your (electronic) light so shine!”

* * *
How did I forget that during all the hub-bub of the season – the baking, the wrapping, the caroling, the cleaning, the reading, the delivering – that my children would actually need to eat! Can you believe that they have had the nerve to ask me “what’s for dinner?” every, single night this week?? (Oh, and they have also asked for breakfast and lunch, seeing how they are out of school until NEXT year!)

* * *

Isn’t it fun to find out what foods are family traditions during Christmas? A dear woman I know, who is almost in her 80’s, makes fruitcake (complete with gum drops) every year even though NO ONE else in her family will touch the stuff.
She makes it because it is her father’s recipe!

Which is no different than what I do - I make German red cabbage every Christmas only because it reminds me of my Christmases as a child! Luckily my husband has grown to appreciate such a dish, because my children certainly haven’t gotten there yet! Although they love, love, LOVE, Turkish Delight! (Which reminds me, I need to make up a batch tomorrow!)

Oh, and another family food tradition we have at Christmas.  Every year our children decide on ONE Christmas Song (This year it is It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas.).  Whenever we are in the van (we have to be "on the go") and we hear the song, we get to go to McDonald's and get ourselves a fruit pie or a cookie! I think we've been five times since Thanksgiving!

What are some food traditions you have in your family during Christmastime?

1 comment:

  1. The McDonald's family tradition sounds fun, though I KNOW we would have been to get a pie or cookie at least 20 times by Christmas!

    ReplyDelete