Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 2: Jesus is . . .

Jesus is The Shepherd and Bishop of my Soul
(1 Peter 2:23-24)

My life has been blessed by bishops whom I have loved and respected.

Regular men.

Ordinary men.

Imperfect men.

But men, nonetheless, who, through the laying on of hands, are given the authority to become a spiritual and temporal shepherd over me, thus engaging in the extraordinary task of trying to be as the Savior and do what He would do if He were on the earth.

And as I've had opportunities to sit across a desk from many a bishop, I have often reflected on the trust the Lord has placed in them.

For them to lead and for me to follow.

For them to judge and for me to judge not.

For them to know and for me to know just enough.

And I confess that in my imperfection, I have not always followed completely,

or withheld my unrighteous judgment,

or was satisfied in knowing a part of the whole . . .

But I have certainly come to know that Jesus has placed these men in my life as a symbol of His love for me.

Because He wants me found.

He wants me clean.

He wants me home.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I have had some amazing bishops too!! ;) Hope you guys are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete