Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Happiness is Our Heritage

Today I had lunch with a friend I haven’t seen in over three years.

It was wonderful to catch up and visit.

I am amazed at her strength.

I am in awe at her complete trust in the Lord.

She has had a history of severe child abuse. Abuse of every kind.

Yet, she has forgiven every individual.

She made a list of names and one by one she was able to forgive each one of them.

And she continues to move forward.

Not that it’s easy.

Not that it doesn’t take time.

Not that on some days she curls up in a ball so she doesn’t have to face the front door.

Because life is hard.

But, she said to me, with her dark eyes penetrating deep into my heart, “Even then, even on those days I pretend to be happy because things ARE so hard - deep down, I am happy.”

“As spirit daughters of our Heavenly Father, happiness is your heritage” is THE message I came away with after listening to President Uchtdorf’s General Women’s Meeting in September 2008.

And after a wonderful afternoon with my dear friend, she testified to me that this is true!

No comments:

Post a Comment