Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Happy Happy Joy

Tonight I read to one of my sons the story of Lehi’s Dream found in Book of Mormon Stories.

He was so intrigued that eating the white fruit from the tree would make someone happy. Because of his curiosity I asked him why he thought Laman and Lemuel didn’t eat the fruit.

His answer was, “Because they didn’t want to be happy.”

“Why?” I pressed further. “Why do think they didn’t want to be happy?”

He thought for a moment and replied, “I guess they had been grumpy for so long they liked being that way.”

I continued, “I think you’re right! How do you feel when you are mad? Do you want to hurry up and feel happy?”

“No!” my son responded, shaking his head.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because I want to feel mad for as long as I like!”

OUCH!  I'm sometimes guilty of feeling that way, too!

A missionary, couple serving in Nauvoo, sent me a most delightful way to remember what JOY represents.

They wrote:

"This sign is our visual aid for today.

"The graphic is to remind you that to experience JOY you have to follow the big “O” of obedience and that is why it is red.

"The big “O” is flanked by Jesus and You.

"That combination brings all of the Joy that we wish for."

No comments:

Post a Comment