Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

All Ye That Labor and are Heavy Laden



Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;
for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matt. 11:28-30

* Everyone labors.  One of the consequences given to Adam after being cast out of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:14-19) was that he and his posterity would labor for "in the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground."

* Everyone bears some type of burden.  While some of those burdens are self-inflicted, many are not.

* The Savior invites those who labor and those who have burdens (which means everyone) to "Come Unto Me." 

* Coming Unto Him requires that I:
          1. Take His yoke upon me. Taking His yoke upon me = Taking His name upon me.  This is a covenant.
          2. Learn of Him.  Learning of Him = Keeping His commandments
          3. Making and keeping covenants helps me to understand the Savior's heart, which is MEEK and LOWLY.  It is through Him that I will find rest to my soul and learn from experience that His yoke is easier that what I can do alone.  I yoke myself with Him each Sunday as I partake of the sacrament.

* His burden is light.  Light dispells darkness.  And it is His "light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not" (Doctrine and Covenants 34:2).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your insights, Darla. I always get so much from them. As always, you inspire me by pointing to the Savior and the prophets...

    ReplyDelete