Monday, March 21, 2011
All Ye That Labor and are Heavy Laden
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me;
for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
* Everyone labors. One of the consequences given to Adam after being cast out of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:14-19) was that he and his posterity would labor for "in the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground."
* Everyone bears some type of burden. While some of those burdens are self-inflicted, many are not.
* The Savior invites those who labor and those who have burdens (which means everyone) to "Come Unto Me."
* Coming Unto Him requires that I:
1. Take His yoke upon me. Taking His yoke upon me = Taking His name upon me. This is a covenant.
2. Learn of Him. Learning of Him = Keeping His commandments
3. Making and keeping covenants helps me to understand the Savior's heart, which is MEEK and LOWLY. It is through Him that I will find rest to my soul and learn from experience that His yoke is easier that what I can do alone. I yoke myself with Him each Sunday as I partake of the sacrament.
* His burden is light. Light dispells darkness. And it is His "light which shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not" (Doctrine and Covenants 34:2).