Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Final Post

Okay. So it’s been a little while since I’ve last posted.

Life is that way sometimes, don’t you think?

When some things come up, other things have to take a time out.

And in the wake of much tumult around the world: political uprising, natural disasters and cooking dinner every night, I got to thinking about what would happen if I would not be able to post again?

What would my final post be?

What words would be left hanging in cyberspace for generations to read?

Would they be words I had carefully chosen?

Would they be words filled with rash and recklessness?

Or would they be words fraught with frivolousness and humor?

Would my words reveal the real me or assume an identity of a false pretense?

Which made me realize why the words and the stories and the doctrine taught in the Book of Mormon were so carefully chosen.

Nephi deliberately left out his genealogy to reserve room “to write the things of God” (1 Nephi 6:3)

Jacob entrusted the plates to his son, Enos, commanding him that only "the things considered most precious" were to be recorded (see Jacob 1:1 and 7:27).

In compiling the records of the Nephites for us, for our day, Mormon said “I shall take these plates, which contain prophesying and revelations, . . . for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren” (see Words of Mormon 1:6-7).

The words written in that sacred book of scripture is more than just a history or a history of what transpired in the lives of people in ancient America.

It is not a written documentary.

Or an essay.

The Book of Mormon is another testimony that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God.

It is a powerful personal witness that through the power of the Holy Ghost not only can we know the truth of all things, but we can come unto Christ and be perfected in Him.

But, if the Book of Mormon were a blog, these are the last words the prophet Moroni posted for all to read:

“And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again unite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead.”
Powerful words with eternal consequences that now hang in the space between our faith and our knowledge for us to grasp and read and study and apply.

1 comment:

  1. for a moment I thought you were going to declare that this was your final post. Which would be 100% understandable considering your life and the impending addition. But per your usual, you just posted another profound Darla insight. If this was the last post you ever wrote, it'd be a great one, but I hope it's not! ♥ you!

    ReplyDelete