Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Wise Man, the Foolish Man and the Ten Virgins

Three times in the course of the resurrected Savior’s teachings while visiting the Nephites, he uses the story of the wise man and the foolish man. The Wise Man builds his house upon the rock. The Foolish Man builds his house upon the sand.

The first reference is found in 3 Nephi 11: 37-40, just the beginning of Christ’s teachings after his appearance near the temple in the land Bountiful.

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.


38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of @#!*% shall not prevail against them.

40 And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of @#!*% stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.
The second reference is found in 3 Nephi 14: 24-27, a little later in his teachings at the same time.

24 Therefore, whoso heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, who built his house upon a arock—


25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not, for it was founded upon a rock.

26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine and doeth them not shall be likened unto a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand—

27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell, and great was the fall of it. (Think the Great and Spacious Building!)
The third reference is in 3 Nephi 18: 1-13. This takes place after he prays with the children and heals them and as He institutes the sacrament among the Nephites.

1 And it came to pass that Jesus commanded his Disciples that they should bring forth some bread and wine unto him.


2 And while they were gone for bread and wine, he commanded the multitude that they should sit themselves down upon the earth.

3 And when the Disciples had come with abread and wine, he took of the bread and brake and blessed it; and he gave unto the Disciples and commanded that they should eat.

4 And when they had eaten and were filled, he commanded that they should give unto the multitude.

5 And when the multitude had eaten and were filled, he said unto the Disciples: Behold there shall one be ordained among you, and to him will I give power that he shall break bread and bless it and give it unto the people of my church, unto all those who shall believe and be baptized in my name.

6 And this shall ye always observe to ado, even as I have done, even as I have broken bread and blessed it and given it unto you.

7 And this shall ye do in remembrance of my body, which I have shown unto you. And it shall be a testimony unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.

8 And it came to pass that when he said these words, he commanded his Disciples that they should take of the wine of the cup and drink of it, and that they should also give unto the multitude that they might drink of it.

9 And it came to pass that they did so, and did drink of it and were filled; and they gave unto the multitude, and they did drink, and they were filled.

10 And when the Disciples had done this, Jesus said unto them: Blessed are ye for this thing which ye have done, for this is fulfilling my commandments, and this doth witness unto the Father that ye are willing to do that which I have commanded you.

11 And this shall ye always do to those who repent and are baptized in my name; and ye shall do it in remembrance of my blood, which I have shed for you, that ye may witness unto the Father that ye do always remember me. And if ye do always remember me ye shall have my Spirit to be with you.

12 And I give unto you a commandment that ye shall do these things. And if ye shall always do these things blessed are ye, for ye are built upon my arock.

13 But whoso among you shall do more or less than these are not built upon my rock, but are built upon a sandy foundation; and when the rain descends, and the floods come, and the winds blow, and beat upon them, they shall fall, and the cgates of @#!*% are ready open to receive them.
So here’s the list I made of things that I found in regard to thees three references:

Building Upon the Rock = Wise Men (you could also think Wise Virgins)
Becomes as a little child
Is baptized
Repents
Hears and Does the sayings of Christ
Remembers Christ
Is a witness of Christ
Keeps the commandments
Has the Lord’s Spirit with him/her

Building Upon the Sand = Foolish Men (you could also think Foolish Virgins)
Embraces the Natural Man
Is not baptized
Does not repent
Hears but DOES NOT the sayings of Christ
Forgets God
Denies God’s power
Keeps not the commandments
Does not have the Lord’s Spirit with him/her

I am amazed at how the commitments to follow Christ increases. Thus, following the steps of the Wise Man brings strength and surety, while following the steps of the Foolish Man brings weakness and pacification.

Notice in the first reference. The Savior first teaches the necessity for us to become like a child. It is a reminder of the teachings of King Benjamin wherein he taught that the natural man is an enemy to God and can only overcome that by becoming childlike to the Father.

The Savior then teaches the first principles (faith and repentance) and first ordinance (baptism)of the gospel. For this is the way - the gate - the first steps back to Him and His Father’s kingdom.

The second allusion to the wise man/foolish man is when the Savior compares those who “Hear and Do: to those who “Hear and Do Not.” No more is He speaking to those outside the covenant people. He is speaking to me! I’ve been baptized. I’ve been confirmed. I’ve made baptismal covenants. I know April and October are the months for General Conference. I know when Church starts on Sunday. I know who the prophet is. Do I hear and do? (wise virgin) Or do I hear and do not (foolish virgin)?

Finally, the third reference to the story of the rock and sand is given when the Savior is instituting the Sacrament among the Nephites. Here he solidifies his previous teachings with the saving ordinance of the Sacrament. For because, having His Spirit to be with us is K-E-Y if we want to make it through this life being a wise man/wise virgin.

So the connection I made, of course, is with the parable of the Ten Virgins. And how one, who HAS rightfully acquired the necessary supplies as listed above, cannot give oil in reserve to one who HAS NOT acquired them for whatever reason.

That oil - that rock foundation - that ability to make, keep and live daily our sacred covenants comes slowly but surely as we build up and follow the words of the Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment