Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Stony Heart/Fleshy Heart


The heart is an incredible organ. I don’t know a lot about it. I’m not a doctor or a nurse or a medical student. But I have heart - and it’s beating. And I’m working to know more about it. Not like a doctor or a nurse. But more like a medical student. A spiritual medical student, because I don’t want murmuring to be my heart condition.

Sometimes my heart is hard. Ugly. Cold. Putting up walls and making excuses why I can’t receive. Or forgive. Or forget.

Sometimes my heart is puffed up. In pride. In defiance of what I know I should do and don’t or won’t. And in my own foolish imagination that life should revolve around me.

Sometimes my heart is soft. Open. Humble. Ready to learn. Seeking answers to questions to ponder and apply.

Sometimes my heart is full. Love grows in it. Joy strengthens in it. Gratitude fortifies it. Sorrow turns it back to its Maker.

All I know is that life and time allows my heart to go through different stages. I know the stages I like and the ones I don’t.

I’m under the impression that if I give my heart – willingly – to God, He can perform spiritual surgery that can change me. But that also means I have TO DO something about it.

The heart is a muscle. It needs activity to remain strong.

Ezekiel puts it this way; “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in mine statues, and ye shall keep my judgments and do them” (Ezek 36:25-26).

God can give me a new heart. Which means He will take away my stony heart – the hard one, the puffed up one, the one that hinders who I am and who I can become - and in the miracle of spiritual surgeries only He can perform, He will give me a heart of flesh. But that’s not the end. In addition, He will put within me a new spirit. His Spirit! His Spirit in me!

His Spirit in my heart. So I can be more like Him. Which means as I walk in His ways and keep His commandments - murmuring will no longer be my heart condition, because I am DOING something about it!

The heart is an incredible organ!

No comments:

Post a Comment