Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Feeling A Little Abish

I identify with Abish.

Of course, my interpretation of her story may be all wrong, but let me tell you: there have been many times I have found myself in a situation thinking,
"I'm sure this is exactly how Abish felt!!"

You remember Abish, a "Lamanitish woman."

Servant to the Lamanite Queen who was the wife of King Lamoni.


And you remember what happened when "all the servant of King Lamoni had fallen to the earth, and also her mistress, the queen and the king." Abish thought that it would be the perfect opportunity to make it "known unto the people what had happened to them" (Alma 19:17).

A missionary effort.

A testimony builder.

Why not?  It was the power of God that had come over this people.  And Abish knew of His power (Alma 19:16).

So off she went, "making it known unto the people what had happened among them, that by beholding this scene it would cause them to believe in the power of God."

Her desire was to gather together the people and have a spiritual, fireside-like experience. 

But kumbaya it was not.

Instead, the multitudes gathered and contention - "exceedingly sharp contention" - ensued.

So much so that when Abish saw and heard the clamor and the din she was "exceedingly sorrowful, even unto tears" (Alma 19:28).

To tears!

And that is were I identify with Abish.

For because there have been many times I have felt like my righteous desires had became the cause for mild debate, or warm conflict, or brooding contention.

Really.

And when those moments occur I am grateful that I am not alone.

Because there is Abish, the Lamanitish woman, who's been there.  Done that.

Not that it make me feel any better, but it gets me through another righteous desire gone south.

Please tell me I'm not alone.


1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering what Abish's father's story is and was wondering if anyone has made any connections?

    ReplyDelete