Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Family Home Evening - Obedience

I don't know about anyone else's family, but we have our fair share of disobedience in this growing family of ours. So, to help us out, we dedicated the month of August to memorize, from Preach My Gospel, the following Christlike attribute on obedience - tweaked just a little to "liken it" unto our family.

As a member of my family, I am expected to keep the commandments willingly, to obey family rules, and to follow the counsel of my parents. Obedience is the first law of heaven. It is an act of faith. I may sometimes be required to do things I do not completely understand. As I obey, I increase in faith, knowlege, wisdom, testimony, protection and freedom. I will strive to be obedient to the Lord, the living prophet and my parents.

So tonight for Family Home Evening, after reciting it together as a family, we read the story of Naaman found in 2 Kings 5:1-14 and discussed how that applies to obedience. And how that typs of obedience applies to our family.

And then we watched this wonderful video (twice!!) because it not only pulled all of our hard memorization efforts together, but it really captured the attention of our younger children as we wrapped up our month long learning on obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment