Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Thoughts on Opposition and Contention

Opposition: actions or opinions that show that you disagree with or disapprove of someone or something

Contention: Strife; struggle; a violent effort to obtain something, or to resist a person, claim or injury; contest; quarrel.

There is an eternal law that there must needs be an opposition in all things.

The devil has cunningly changed enmity for sin, to contention filled with hate and malice.

Which has brought me to ponder, does my opposition change me to a "contentionist," particularly when it comes to issues that involve morality and God's law?  How can I successfully rise above the contention and still passionately oppose those things that are morally wrong?

Perhaps even a better question, can opposition still leave room in my heart to love those who are filled with contention?

As I mused these thoughts aloud to my children, the story of Job came to my mind. And I was reminded that God knows how to perfectly oppose evil without contention.

He knows how to speak against evil without causing war. For the war is created by those who allow contention to overrule their opposition, no matter how soft spoken contention may be.

2 comments:

  1. You are an awesome lady. I am so excited to be privy to some of your thoughts via blog!

    ReplyDelete