Pages

Friday, December 20, 2013

Power of the Aaronic Priesthood

My twins made the Frosh/Soph Basketball team for their high school.

They don't start.

They play, maybe, 6 minutes a game . . . on a good night!

But they practiced all summer long. They worked so hard to make the team and work so hard in practice. They are happy enough that they can sit on the bench and be called in when needed!

To top it off, they are good boys.  Sensitive to those things that offend the Holy Spirit.

Three or so weeks into the school year they commented to me how much swearing goes on in high school!!! Which means they are two of just a few boys on the entire basketball team (Varsity, JV and Frosh/Soph) who don't swear.

Well, today they are off on a bus to their game that's 6 hours away! (And 6 hours back.  Plus three games sandwiched in between!) And it snowed terribly all. day. yesterday. and it's supposed to start snowing later on this evening.

To say I was a little hesitant to let them go is an understatement.

Snow.  Swearing.  Six hours down.  Six hours back.

So after I saw them out the door for school, I knelt down to pray and ask Father in Heaven to protect them. Because I knew there would be no Melchizedek Priesthood holders on the bus. And what if something happened?  What if the storm hit them while on the way home?  What if they got stranded?  What if . . . .

And as I prayed this sweet, protecting feeling enveloped me, and in my mind I seemed to hear these words, "Darla, did you forget? Your boys have the priesthood.  Your boys have the priesthood."

Oh, wonderful Aaronic Priesthood, "which holds the keys of the ministering of angels." How could I have forgotten?

1 comment:

  1. It's so easy to forget isn't it. What a blessing to be reminded! Thanks for sharing, it brought tears of joy to my eyes as I thought of our two youngest still at home, a priest and a teacher. Just three years ago we had a high priest, an elder, a priest, teacher and deacon in our family. It was so fun to have the offices represented. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete