Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Thoughts

Here is something I learned while studying these verses of scripture from this week's Sunday School lesson (1 Nephi 22:16-17).  Take note of how the Lord will destroy the wicked and preserve the righteous.

For the time soon cometh that the fulness of the wrath of God shall be poured out upon all the children of men; for He will not suffer that the wicked shall destroy the righteous.

Wherefore, He will preserve the righteous by His power, even if it so be that the fulness of His wrath must come, and the righteous be preserved, even unto the destruction of their enemies by fire. Wherefore, the righteous need not fear; . . . they shall be saved, even if it so be as by fire.
So what I did know is that before the Lord comes a second time, those that believe not in the Lord Jesus Christ will be destroyed by fire (2 Nephi 6:15).

But what caught my attention is that it is also by fire that the Lord will preserve the righteous. And few fire-saving images illustrated in the scriptures came to my mind:

1. Baptism by fire/receiving the Holy Ghost (Doctrine and Covenants 20:41)
2. Tithing a.k.a. Fire Insurance (Doctrine and Covenants 64:23)
3. Guidance in a world of darkness (Exodus 13:21)
4. Purification - to receive His image in our countenances (Malachi 3:2)

Which made me take a personal inventory of where I stand and where my heart is.

Because righteousness binds Satan.

When Satan is bound he has no power.

And what I learned this week is that I don't have to wait until the Millennium to shake the very powers of @#!*% (see 1 Nephi 22:26 and Alma 48:17)!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite saving by fire is Nephi and Lehi in Helaman 5. I know, I take things waaaay to literally.

    ReplyDelete