Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Lost Coin

Today in Sunday School our discussion favored the three parables found in Luke 15: The Parable of the Lost Sheep, The Parable of the Lost Coin and the Parable of the Prodigal Son.

As I studied the Parable of the Lost Coin I was able to see a call for us to be better examples, to open our mouths and be better missionaries, and to ultimately share the blessings of the temple - the crowning blessing of the restored gospel - with all who are found worthy!  I share with you what I learned.

First of all here is the scripture: Luke 15:8-10.
Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?


And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.

Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
Ten pieces of silver = One-tenth; Tithing; one of the commandments we must obey in order to enter into the temple Doctrine and Covenants 119:4

Lose one piece = With faith and diligence, we can safely find those who have been taken captive so that not one soul will be lost Alma 16:8

Light a Candle = Be an example to others Matthew 5:16

Sweep the House = Gathering the Lord's Elect Moses 7:62

Seek Diligently = Pray for missionary experiences, for confidence to share the gospel with others Luke 11:9

She found it = Everyone that seeketh, findeth Luke 11:10

Calleth her friends = Christ will call the obedient His friends John 15:14-15

Rejoice with Me = Recognize the Lord's hand in His ultimate work of bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man Alma 26:16

Joy/angels = Missionary Work/Gathering Israel Alma 13:22-24

Sinner that Repents = The Lord desires His people to be worthy to enter the temple Doctrine and Covenants 109:21

1 comment:

  1. I really like this breakdown of the parable of the lost piece of silver.

    One way that I feel that this parable applies to me is by being purposeful. - This woman started out with the silver. It was probably something that was important to her, and, one way or another, she lost it. Perhaps it dropped off the counter. Perhaps she misplaced it, meaning to put it away later. Perhaps the piece of silver was lost - out of negligence.

    I feel like I can be a better steward by not neglecting the "silver" that is already gathered. For example, I need to treat everyone with the same amount of love and respect: even if they are already strong members of the church. Sometimes, through neglect, we lose people like this woman lost her silver. Anyways - this teaches me to be more purposeful - as a mother, sister, visiting teacher, and in my calling. Although I may not mean to "lose" anyone, it may happen if I'm not being careful in the first place.
    -chococatania

    ReplyDelete