Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Late Laborer in the Vineyard

"This parable—like all parables—is not really about laborers or wages any more than the others are about sheep and goats. This is a story about God’s goodness, His patience and forgiveness, and the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is a story about generosity and compassion. It is a story about grace. It underscores the thought I heard many years ago that surely the thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those who don’t expect it and often feel they don’t deserve it."  -Jeffrey R. Holland
I've always loved the Parable of the Laborers found in the Book of Matthew.  Perhaps because considered myself an early laborer in the vineyard.

Early, and ever so willing to welcome the late laborers, particularly the ones hired in the eleventh hour.

"Come on over here," I imagine myself beckoning.  "You are more than welcome to work right alongside me! And I am so happy and overjoyed that you and I will receive the same pay!"

Not too long ago, however, someone suggested that each of us, sometime or another, will arrive late to some part of the Lord's vineyard.

"Late?" I mumbled to myself. "Me?  I am not a late laborer, I come early!  I've always been early."

Then this sweet woman explained that she had just discovered the vineyard of family history.

She had only been laboring for three months but the blessings and miracles of finding dates, stories, and information far surpassed her 12 week labor.  "Why would I receive such incredible blessings in just a short amount of time?"  She  asked. "I'm late in coming to this part of the vineyard.  So very late and yet, the blessings of God have filled me beyond capacity."

That's when I came to the stark realization that I AM A LATE LABORER! I'm more late than on time!

And even in my late comings, God is still merciful . . . to me.

1 comment:

  1. You and me both! The journey isn't over until we die. Keep up the good work. Press forward with steadfast faith.

    ReplyDelete