Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Becoming New in Christ

This week I listened to THIS TALK by Elder Dale G. Renlund, and it has left me pondering about the sacrament and my covenants.

Elder Renlund quoted President Russell M. Nelson saying:
I made a covenant as I partook of the sacrament that I would be willing to take upon me the name of Jesus Christ and . . . to obey His commandments. Often, I hear the expression that we partake of the sacrament to renew covenants made at baptism. While that’s true, it’s much more than that. I’ve made a new covenant. You have made new covenants (italics added).
Whoa. The sacrament is much. more. than. renewing. covenants.

Much more.

So I have been thinking about that. About Jesus being the New Covenant and how I can make a new covenant with Him each and every week.

Each Sabbath, as I give to Him my offering of my righteous desires coupled with my carnal tendencies, I can become new.

When taken worthily and with real intent, the sacrament is The Way I become a new creature in Christ.

This means that in partaking of the sacrament, the things of the world slowly--ever so imperceptibly slow-- start to become less and less important to me, and the things of God--the very things of eternity--start to become more and more important to me.

The sacrament not only helps me to become more like Him, it is my cry to Him that I need Him to give me the ability to live His doctrine--especially the "endure to the end" part--with Christ-like determination.

And He does.

He gives me what I need.

What an amazing covenant I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment