Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2019

How is it that I Seek Him?

In Luke 2:49, young Jesus responds to Mary and Joseph when they find Him in the temple and question His whereabouts, "How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?" To which Luke writes, "And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them."

This has got me to thinking, Jesus did not ask. "Where have you sought me?" or "When have you  sought me?" or "Why have you sought me?" His question was "How is it that ye sought me?"

How is it?

In the 1828 Dictionary, the word how is defined as "by what means, in what state, or in what manner." Which begs the question, HOW is it that I seek Him?

Do I seek Him only when I need His help?

Do I seek Him only when I need fast, temporary relief?

Do I seek Him looking for easy answers to my profound questions because I don't want to wait?

Do I seek Him on my time, with no regard to all He is and all He does and all He offers?

Or,

Do I seek Him with real intent?

Do I seek Him with the desire to know? With the desire to follow Him the whole. entire. way. The long, eternal way.

Do I seek Him because I, too, want to go about His Father's business, no matter what the cost?

Do I seek Him willingly because I want to do His will and not mine, for His work and His glory?

"How is it," He asks, "that ye seek Me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment