Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Weird . . . but True!

So my ten year old checked out THIS BOOK from the library.

Facts in bold . . . with a little personal commentary.

A hippo can run as fast as a human.
What this means is if I come up with "I'm fat as a hippo" excuse, my kids are going to totally dismiss that and make me run the 5K with them anyway.

Nothing can escape from a black hole.
And I thought Calgon could take me away . . .

Gelotology is the study of laughter.
So why isn't this one of the prerequisites?

Nighttime rainbows are called moonbows.
I didn't know that there were such things as a night time rainbows. And it must have been a six year old that came up with "moonbows."

One million seconds is: 11 days, 13 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds; when you have lived 2.4 billion seconds, you will be 75 years old.
Makes one of the Lord's day (1000 years) sound pretty good, 'eh?!

The praying mantis is the only insect that can look over its shoulder.
The praying mantis has a shoulder??

Scents smell better through your right nostril than your left.
Umm, seven active sons = fourteen feet . . . my left or right nostril won't make that smell any better.

Earth is the only planet not named after a Greek or Roman god.
Because earth was named by God and all the other planets were named by men.

If you weigh 50 pounds (23kg) of Earth, you would weigh about 3 pounds (1.4 kg) on Pluto.
So let's all move to Pluto . . .then we really would have something to complain about when we gain 3 pounds!!!!

Only male turkeys gobble: females click.
So it's not the male turkeys we're eating at Thanksgiving and yet he's getting all the sympathy.

A space suit costs about ten million dollars.
"You could pile up the accumulated currency of the entire world and it could not buy a loaf of bread in the economy of heaven." (Dieter F. Uchtdorf). Take that, NASA!

Without clothes, you would start to feel cold at 77 degrees Fahrenheit.
For the Strength of Youth, baby!

Humans and slugs share more than half their genes.
Uh, no comment necessary . . .

Chewing gum can make your heart beat faster.
So perhaps for safety's sake, I will not allow my children to chew gum when they start dating . . . hearts beat fast enough at that age!!!

Your eyes can see about ten million colors.
10 Million?? Please oh please don't let Crayola know . . .I have enough broken crayons in the house!

The sun has enough energy to burn for 100 billion more years.
"For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves." (Doctrine and Covenants 104:17).

371,000 is the average number of people born every day.
Even in a world filled with such darkness and evil, God still keeps His children coming. He/We/They have a lot of work to do!

Houseflies buzz in the key of F.
Does swatting them get them off-key?

If you spend a dollar every second, it would take 32 years to spend a billion dollars.
In other words: Save a dollar every second . . . be a BILLIONARIE in 2044!

There are more text messages sent each day than there are people on earth.
How many of those texts testify of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

Your brain uses the same amount of power as a ten-watt light bulb.
I wonder if that's incandescent or LED?

Your ears produce more wax when you're afraid.
Bring on the Q-tips, baby!

Forest fires can travel faster uphill than downhill.
Enduring to the end means running up that hill faster than the fire!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy weird facts! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately for me, my brain retains ALL those useless facts, now that you've shared them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this Darla. I really miss you.... I think that you should move to Wisconsin, we need help building up our Branch into a ward, and your family would add greatly to that. Faith

    ReplyDelete